The growing productivity divide
Here’s a simple quiz:
- Can you capture something you see on your screen and paste it into Word or PowerPoint?
- Do you have a blog?
- Can you open a link you get in an email message?
- Do you read more than five blogs a day?
- Do you have a signature in your outbound email?
- Do you have an RSS reader?
- Can you generate a PDF document from a Word file you’re working on?
- Do you know how to build and share a simple spreadsheet using Google Docs?
- Do have a shortcut for sending mail to the six co-workers you usually write to?
- Are you able to find what you’re looking for on Google most of the time?
- Do you know how to download a file from the internet?
- Do you back up your work?
- Do you keep track of contacts using a digital tool?
- Do you use anti-virus software?
- Do you fall for internet hoaxes and forward stuff to friends and then regret it?
- Have you ever bought something from a piece of spam?
Can you imagine someone who works in a factory that processes metal not knowing how to use a blowtorch? How can you imagine yourself as a highly-paid knowledge worker and not know how to do these things… If you don’t, it’s not hard to find someone to teach you.