Which people do you look to for criticism? Which metrics are you relying on to tell you if you're doing a good job? Who tells you if you're on to something?
Alas, most of us usually look in the wrong place.
Here are a few you might want to avoid:
- easy-to-quantify and common metrics that lack granularity or insight (like pageviews, followers and heaven-forfend, likes)
- critics who are loud, snarky and/or jealous
- self-appointed gatekeepers looking for more power
- the mass market
- … the media they rely on for their opinion [including sportscasters and news anchors (in any field)]
- people who never understand or appreciate work that's important and new
- the cool kids
Change someone who cares.