The status quo is powerful indeed. We add layers, patches and small improvisations, all to shore up something we don't want to reconsider.
If we had a clean sheet of paper, and could design something that actually worked, what would we do about:
- Big-time college sports
- School taxes based on location, and school spending based on income
- Development costs, transparency and patents related to pharmaceuticals
- The Electoral College and gerrymandering
- Allocation of electromagnetic spectrum
- Stagnant oligopolies
- What's taxed and what's not
- School curriculum
- Online identity
- Infrastructure priorities
The free market doesn't always do things as well as an enlightened institution can. And institutions often need our help to become more enlightened.
Sometimes, we need to take a deep breath and decide to do it again, better.