The avocado principles
- If you wait until you really want an avocado, the market won’t have any ripe ones. You need to buy them in advance.
- If you eat an avocado that’s not quite ripe, you won’t enjoy it. AND, you won’t have a chance to enjoy it tomorrow, when it would have been perfect if you had only waited.
- If you live your life based on instant gratification and little planning, you’ll either never have a good avocado or you’ll pay more than you should to someone else who planned ahead.
- Buy more avocados than you think you need, because the hassles are always greater than the cost, so you might as well invest.
- And since you have so many, share them when they’re ripe. What goes around comes around.
All of these truths lead to the real insight, the metaphor that’s just waiting to be lived in all ways: If you get ahead of the cycle, waiting until the first one is ripe and then always replenishing before you need one, you can live an entire life eating ripe avocados. On the other hand, if impatience and poor planning gets you behind the cycle, you’ll be just as likely to waste every one you ever eat.
Plant your tree before you need the shade.